Today I went to Cafe 100 for lunch. It was really crowded. Most of the people were already sitting down eating, so luckily there was not much of a line. I go to Cafe 100 every so often since they have a great variety of food and nice, fast service. The eating area is open-aired and breezy.
(I am temporarily borrowing this pic, and will get a new one up soon)
The menu includes daily plate lunch specials and all the local favorites, but what is most impressive is their loco moco menu. They have the most extensive loco moco menu I’ve ever seen! This is where many say the loco moco started, so the menu was no surprise. But how does it compare with other loco mocos in Hilo?
I ordered the Super Loco!
2 eggs, 1 beef patty, 1 slice spam, 2 pc. portuguese sausage, loads of rice, mac salad, gravy all over, and kimchi (supposedly) on the side. It’s huge. It only costs $4.45.
First thing I thought was… “where’s my kimchi!?” All the other times I’ve ordered this they gave a small container of kimchi. *sigh* It’s ok…
Here’s a closeup.
HooooOO brah!! Look good ah?
No forget da loco moco essentials.
Start grinding already!
- Burger: Tender and tasty, but way too thin and too small.
- Gravy: Taste like good ol’ regular brown gravy made from the gravy powder. It was just enough to bring everything together, but it could’ve used more. I do wish it were thicker with richer flavor.
- Eggs: Done really well! Perfectly cooked. I could taste the flavor of butter as I ate a piece of egg.
- SPAM: It’s SPAM, how can anyone go wrong?
- Portuguese Sausage: Ono. Nice and crisp.
- Mac Salad: Cafe 100 makes excellent mac salad. It’s actually a mac/potato salad served on finely shredded cabbage. It has a great consistency and taste.
- Rice: Good, but for me, there was way too much compared to the amount of meat and gravy given, but if I was super hungry, I guess I wouldn’t complain.
I often see tourists come to Cafe 100 to try a loco moco for their very first time, and while Cafe 100′s loco moco is ok, there are many other places that serve better versions. I would recommend Blane’s Drive Inn or Ken’s House of Pancakes. Their burgers are much bigger and the gravy is much tastier. Yet, there’s still something special about Cafe 100 that makes me come back.
I will get more pictures of Cafe 100 very soon. My camera should be in tommorow or the day after!
969 Kilauea Ave
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
(808) 935-6368 Menu Hotline